Since opening our doors in 2009, ThistleWaithe’s South Salem location offers an unparalleled campus whose natural landscape brims with learning opportunities for all children. The seeds of environmental stewardship will be sown through gardening, composting, recycling, and various types of nature study. Classrooms–both inside and outside—enable the child to connect with the glory of the natural world.
The school’s new construction enabled ThistleWaithe to utilize the following design, construction, and operation elements in creating a safe, healthy, and environmentally-sensitive learning environment:
• Direct access between classrooms and outdoors;
• Use of low maintenance, sustainable, and high lifespan materials;
• Use of water conservation techniques through low-flow fixtures and fittings;
• Use of low- or no-VOC finishes;
• Use of non-PVC and no-VOC flooring materials;
• Use of adequately zoned and controlled HVAC systems with adequate fresh air ventilation;
• Installation of operable windows;
• Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system;
• Energy efficient lighting.